Well, since Proposition 8 passed officially yesterday mid-morning, I have been slammed with hate mail. I HAD some gay friends on facebook that knew my religious beliefs and started attacking me. Mind you, I have not said one hateful or mean thing about gay people AT ALL! I am not that kind of person. Yes, I'm the kind of person that vents frustration and gets irritated easily, but I do not attack people because of their religious beliefs, race, gender, or sexual preference. Since I am a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of latter-day saints, I have been targeted and am now reeping the awful backlash of angry, disgusted people. These are the same people that have been saying how hateful, intolerant, and plain wrong the Yes voters are on Proposition 8. I have actively campaigned for the Yes on Prop 8 campaign; however did so quietly and did not broadcast my involvement. I did, however, call hundreds of people to encourage and educate people about the Yes on Prop 8 campaign. I did this because I believe so strongly that marraige should only be between a man and a woman AND I don't want 4 judges overturning the will of the people.
Now, all of this started with my logging onto facebook and finding a horrid, disgusting, hateful post written by a so-called friend. This person, I went to high school with and got along well with and was excited to find him on facebook years after high school. Well, his post was directed directly at My Church, at fellow church members as well, but most difficult for me was directed at "old high school friends". After reading this awful post, I immediately deleted this person as a friend because I did not want to be affiliated with someone that would show so much hate toward my church and "blame" the church for the passing of Prop 8. Well, about an hour later, I came back to the computer to check my email and saw numerous emails from facebook. One was a "friend request" from this individual saying not to add him as a friend, but in short saying he was glad I finally had the guts to show my hate for him by deleting him as a friend. That's the short version. I then saw an email from another "old friend" that previously wrote to me about my support for prop 8 and said that I was bigot and full of hate. His email months ago was really long, but pretty much told me how horrible I was. Well, he emailed me with some more hate mail and said how he wanted to vote on my marriage to Dale. It was a stupid email, but full of blame pointed at me. (As if I'm the only one that voted yes on Tuesday!) Obviously I am not the only one that voted! Hello! I am just so frustrated that I'm targetted. Then the rash of emails from Susan Goldberg came. I don't know who she (if she's even real) is, but she wrote a gross email to me calling me a bigot and asking why I hate her. "She" also sent off an email to MANY people titled "do you know Shannon Roberts?" Each of the emails said that I was a bigot and hateful, etc., etc. I've heard from at least ten people that received this email and I'm sure there are more, so that's why I'm wondering, Why me?
Now that I've vented, I feel much better and although I felt the need to close down my facebook account and change my personal email, I say good riddens, but I may just file a police report and scare these people away.
13 years ago
1 comments:
Shannon, I'm so sorry that you have had to go through this. All I can say is that I'm grateful you have not stooped to their level. I hope no one else who voted Yes will stoop to that level either. You did what you know is right and I am proud of you.
Post a Comment