Well, I've really been thinking about how dysfunctional my extended family is and have realized that I really wish I wasn't so selfish as a child and teenager. Kind of a weird entrance into the blog entry, but that's what led to my thinking.
My mom is one of the most giving people I know. Growing up she took so many people under her wing, taking people in to live with us, giving and providing for many. She is amazing. Over my childhood years we had not only my immediate family living with us, but my mom's foster brother Tommy, my uncle Dean, my cousin Jeffrey, and my Grandpa all live with us at different times. She let these people in at some of the most difficult times in their lives and was just one of the most amazing examples I wish I would have seen at the time. I know I'm her daughter, but she also let my husband, two daughters and I live with for 11 months while we prepared to purchase our first home.
She has been an amazing example to me as I see her always giving. We are very much alike in our personalities (difficult time saying no, sometimes a little too honest/harsh, etc.), but I wish I had all of her amazing generous qualities. I wish that I could find the unconditional love and generosity inside of me that I know is hiding somewhere.
My mom is a survivor of breast cancer!! Through some of the most difficult times in her life, she had to count on others to help her, and sometimes it wasn't easy for her, but it had to happen. I love that my mom is a survivor!!
My mom lost her mother while I was a junior in high school. She had such an amazing outlook on everything. She knows that she will once again see my grandmother waiting for her on the other side and has always had an amazing outlook on the situation. It was, nonetheless, one of the most difficult times in her life getting through losing someone you love so much.
My mom was estranged from my Aunts for many, many years. These two aunts were the ones I grew up with, the ones whose children I played with. One of these Aunts was one of my mom's best friends and things turned sour. It was one of the hardest things to see my mom go through. However, I still saw my mom thinking about them, getting them gifts and sending them (whether named or anonymously), she knew one day she would get through it. I witnessed her praying for them with no idea how they were or where they were in life. Several years ago, I got to witness my mom and one of my aunts get back in touch and I see my mom so happy. I am amazed at how she gets through these terrible situations with such an amazing and positive outlook.
I know my mom doesn't read this, and most that do, probably don't even know my mom. But, if you are ever so lucky to meet my mother, then know that behind her humble exterior, she is such an amazing woman. She never gives up. I sometimes give up and have a hard time getting rid of old negative feelings, but my mom gets over it. She holds experiences to help her in her new experiences, but doesn't use those negative experiences to judge others. She is truly amazing.
She is a wonderful grandmother, an amazing mom, and an awesome friend. I hope that one day I can be even half the example she is for me, for my own children. I love my mom and I know that she really has the concept down "following His example". I love her!!!!
13 years ago
1 comments:
What a sweet post about your Mom. She truly does sound amazing. And you are way more like her than you think you are. Don't sell yourself short. Hope you guys had an amazing Christmas. xox
Post a Comment