Have you ever had rabbits? I haven't. My next door neighbor growing up did for awhile, and I always LOVED holding and petting her sweet rabbit. Well, we had already decided when we moved that we would be getting chickens, and when we went to check out the local feed store to see what the chicks looked like, etc., they had rabbits. Olivia asked if we could get some pet rabbits, so I deferred the question to Dale. Dale said, "sure, after we get back from Utah."Wow, Olivia got that answered easy. We're actually leaving for Utah on Thursday to attend the sealing of Dale's brother Paul to his soon to be wife, Rebecca (actually known as Becca, but that will be hard since Dale's little sister is Becca).Anyway, at the time of the decision we had about two months before rabbit day. Uggh. The kids were still excited. We needed somewhere for the rabbits to live though. The hutches at the pet store were out of the question. $300-$400 for a small-med size hutch seemed overboard. I then checked on Craigslist and didn't have much luck so finally decided that we would build it. Dale went to Eureka for work (He was there a week), and I started building the hutch. No plans, just ideas. No decisions, just make-do's. Wow, did it ever work out.
I should probably add that I did this in the unsafest of ways. No safety glasses, crossing the cutting arm, sitting on my wood while cutting...just bad example. So, that being said, don't copy any of my pictures. Dale got back in time to help me with the ramps that I couldn't make work for what I wanted. He fixed it to what I needed and it turned out beautifully. He then helped with all the doors as well. Actually, I think I made one door, but Dale wasn't impressed. Haha.
Well, the time came, and it was done, so all five of us got to painting the hutch a nice bright barn red. I absolutely LOVE it!What do you think?
We are getting rabbits on Tuesday after we get back from Utah (on Monday, Lauren's birthday). We are so excited. We actually met a breeder that lives next door to Dale's uncle that is giving us a tremendous deal on show quality bunnies because we talked about the option of having the girls go into 4H and doing shows. So excited. We planned on getting 2, but just might come home with 3. Don't want to leave poor Julia out. ;)
OK, a little frustrating because I can't get the pictures to move around where I want them unless I want to delete and re upload...and that's not happening. So, guess what the order is and you'll eventually figure it out. Sorry.
13 years ago
0 comments:
Post a Comment