Wednesday, August 4, 2010

Neck wear for a baby boy

Well, my little nephew, who is "oh, so cute" needs a little gift from Auntie. My intentions were to show a little tutorial, but as you get into the process, you start forgetting to take pictures.Start with some cute fabric. I found this in the remnant bin at JoAnn Fabric ($2)
Cut strips. Sorry, I didn't write the measurements, but I think it was two inches. I then cut in half so I had two 24" lengths of the two inch strips.
Iron the overlapping fold along the entire strip. (Only do this to one.)
Do you get it?

OK, I guess it was 2", so now I feel better knowing I provided you with accurate info.
Other strip: bring both sides to the middle. So,now the strip should measure 1" wide with the ironed folds.
Cut an 8" length of the 1" folded strip.
Loop the fold as pictured, making sure that the fully flat side are facing out. (ends meeting in middle should be on the inside of this loop.)
Hand sew through ALL layers in the center of loops. Make sure to fully knot one end so you'll be able to pull the thread to pucker the loop. Once puckered to your liking, sew a few more stitches to hold your bow in place.
Now, wrap a small piece of the smaller folded strip around the center of your bow. Sorry, I don't remember how much to cut off the smaller strip, but you'll figure it out. Pull the small strip nice and TIGHT around the bow. (As tight as you can get it.) Hand sew the strip together being sure to catch the main bow in your stitches, but not going through to the front.
Measure child's neck and add 1" (for overlapping velcro). Cut small (thinner strip) strip to that length plus about 1/2" for seam allowance.
-1. sew close to edge on both sides of long edges, entire length of cut strip.
-2. fold over short edges 1/4" and sew in place.
-3. cut 1" to 1-1/4" sew-in velcro, round edges, or just cut corners off.
-4. place tooth velcro (the scratchy stuff) on side the will be away from neck (outside). Sew in place.
-5. place fuzzy velcro on inside edge, and sew in place.


This is where I stopped taking pictures...

Add bowtie to outside middle of neckstrap. Sew through from backside only. Sew as much as needed to keep in place.

Here we go:

(no tutorial for necktie...so many folds and cuts to share. If I do it again, I'll have it down a little better and maybe post something for that then.)


Close up of bowtie.

I think my cutie nephew Drake will love it.

0 comments: