Wednesday, July 9, 2008

My name is Shannon and I'm a....


PEOPLE PLEASER! I don't know why I can't say no to different things asked of me, but I think it only in my vocabulary with my children. Apparently I have no problem letting my children down. Isn't that horrible. Once again, I have given too many yeses and am stressing myself out trying to complete all of my yes projects. See if you're a people pleaser here. Most of the time I do these things for my own benefit. I enjoy praise. Doesn't everyone? Dale says I enjoy it too much. Will I change my ways to lessen my stress? Probably not. I like to be the center of who/what people are talking about because I worked so hard on something, or something turned out so yummy or looks good. So with that in mind, when I say yes, it means that I work to produce "great" results. Yes, that means that I work a little too hard on many of my little "yes projects", but what do I do otherwise...fold laundry? Don't get me wrong, I enjoy these little "yes projects", but I let everything else fall to the wayside in the process of completing them. Why, oh why, can't I say no? I think it's my mom. She is always serving other people and doing things for them. Although she does some things for herself, I never remember her saying no to someone in need of help. We are very alike also in respect to the fact that we tend to take over things as well. I have acknowledged recently that I have this yes problem and tried to say no, but instead of letting it go, I focused on the fact that I didn't help until after it was over. Pretty sad, I can't get over myself. I found this helpful website, if you too are a people pleaser: How to Stop Being a People Pleaser. So, if you're reading this, think twice before asking me, because I just might say yes!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

You don't need anyone to tell you how great you are! You are a woman of great worth!! You are awesome, creative, the best cook, the best wife, the best mother, the best teacher, the best daughter, the best SHANNON I have ever met. Look internally and maybe you can start saying NO to those little projects that are just wearing you out.
Now, I am off to take my own advice LOL-!